Re: 4mm DAT drive

On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 11:32:53AM -0700, Eric N. Valor wrote:

> Hmm.. I looked into that already.  However, what I'm backing up are
> already gzipped files so I doubt I'm going to get much compression
> there.  Perhaps that's my problem (or at least part of it).  I still
> wonder why I only get 3gb instead of 4.. is there overhead with tar that
> I'm not aware of?

I have a more modern drive (DDS-4) and I've found that when I backuo
already compressed data I cannot backup more than 16-17 GB on a tape
with the drive compression but if I backup without drive compression I
can backup around 20 GB.

In my case the mt-st package init file creates 3 additionnal devices
st0a, st0l and st0m.

st0m has blocksize=0 and no compression, so that is the one I use when
doing a backup of compressed data.

Philippe