Re: pppd: LCP terminated by peer

John Summerfield wrote:
Baurjan Ismagulov wrote:

Hello, John!

On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 09:10:23PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
I'm using pppd 2.4.2 to connect to my DSL Internet provider. After a
period of inactivity pppd terminates the connection with a message "LCP
terminated by peer". Can I instruct pppd not to agree to that?

No.

Talk to your ISP.

Thanks for the prompt answer! I assume this is a feature of LCP and one
can't "fix" it in pppd, no?

It's not broken, this is how to terminate the connexion.

Seems that creating some activity from cron is cheaper than talking to
the ISP :)
If the ISP knows a problem exists, then the problem can be fixed for everyone.

You could try adding a line such as:

lcp-echo-interval 60

to your /etc/ppp/options. Perhaps it will help.

Jakob