Gnome UI stops responding

Hi.

I'm having this problem while using gnome 2.6 in my laptop with sarge
unstable. The UI locks from time to time when using any gnome widget.
For example, I'm using dia to draw a diagram and I have to open a
dialog. Sometimes I can do whatever I want to do and everything works
fine, but some other times I click on a button (or select an option on a
context menu or open a combo list...) and that dialog window dies. It
stops responding and it doesn't repaint itself. After that no gnome
widget would work. If I go to the action menu and select logout it
ignores me. If I restart X (and gdm) with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and login
again gnome never comes up.

I have kde in the same computer and everything works fine in it, so I
assume the problem is with gnome. I don't like kde though so I would
love to have my gnome working again :).

The truth is I don't really know where to start searching the cause of
this problem. Can anybody tell me which logs to check? Or if anyboday
has had this problem before and can tell me how to solve it I would
really appreciate it

Thanks so much

Santi