Re: how stop the dns service?

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 04:42:08PM -0300, Felipe Martins wrote:
> hello,
> in  RedRat there is command 'service' to start, restart, stop and verify
> status of services.
> - which command in debian is equivalent?
/etc/init.d/"servicename" start
> - how can i verify which services are running?
netstat -l
This actually lists the sockets and ports that are open on your machine.
I don't know if there is more friendly way to do this.
> - is it possible to avoid a service being started during boot or machine
> initialization?
change to the /etc/init.d directory
run
#update-rc -f remove "service name"
The -f flag means force, otherwise the script will complain about the actual
start-up script still existing. update-rc has sofisticated init level
options, listed in the man-page