Re: kerenls: hand-rolled v. stock

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 12:29:07PM -0400, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> i'm looking into grabbing a new kernel (because the one i'm using
> doesn't appear to have the "soundcore" option either compiled in or as
> a module -- can i fix this without updating kernels?).  the one i have
> right now, i hand-rolled froum the 2.4.20 source.  i don't feel like
> doing anothert one myself right now if i don't have to.
>
> in general, is there much of an advantage to hand-rolling over
> grabbing a stock kernel?  i feel like everything i probably want to
> insert as a module (soundcore; usb; whatever) should be available in a
> stock kernel.
>
> thanks,
>
> </nori>

I'm not a kernel expert, but I offer some 'practical' advice:
Choose a stock kernel that will boot on your hardware as a starting point.
Use make-kpkg to create a duplicate of that stock kernel. (this tests
your setup for creating kernels)
Then modify the .config to get where you want to be.
Take care to never loose an old .config file.
In the process you may discover that a stock kernel meets your needs.

This is the way I do it.

HTH

--
Paul E Condon