Re: Another "testing" vs "unstable" question

>>The cycles are too short. RedHat's and some other's, that is.

This has been an interesting thread for us newbies.  There seems to be no
clear "right answers".  Rather, Debian provides several good choices so
that you can choose what flavor best suits your needs.

I was hot on Red Hat and then Fedora Core 1 as my first experiences with
Linux.  While I was very happy with FC1, moving to FC2 wasn't much fun.
They advised a fresh install rather than using yum or up2date.  I took the
middle ground, letting anaconda on a full FC2 DVD handle my upgrade.  I
only had a few glitches, but the mail list was full of complaints.

I decided to try Debian due to what I perceive as a more straightforward
upgrade path that shouldn't require a fresh install each time.

I started with Knoppix and have stayed with Sid upgrades.  No problems so
far, and I'm glad I made the switch!  I've read here that starting with
Knoppix isn't exactly advised, but the install was trivial with fantastic
hardware detection etc, and the upgrades since have been fine.  I'm not
worried about the latest camera etc - just basic server functions.  Thanks
for the bandwidth and discussion!  - John