Re: broken updates in aptitude & connection failed

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 04:31 am, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
> Is there a way to make sure aptitude first tries to download all
> packages and only updates if ALL packages are succesfully download?

Yep.

apt-get -dy install FOO && aptitude install FOO

where FOO is one or more package names, or 'upgrade' or 'dist-upgrade'

If you don't speak shell, the '&&' operator means 'execute the command
on my right if and only if the command on my left has a return status
of true'.

You need to use apt-get as the first command.  This is because apt-get
returns false if the download fails, while aptitude returns true on
success or failure.  Once apt-get downloads the packages, aptitude
finds them locally, and installs using the normal aptitude features.

Best,
Aaron Maxwell - http://redsymbol.com