Re: resolv.conf gets reset

Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 09:11:40AM -0700, Brenden wrote:
| Hi all, new debian user here with some basic questions.
|
| My resolv.conf file keeps getting reset to nothing (well, just the
| two comment lines warning me not to change things manually)
| everytime I reboot.  I just plain don't have any idea what could be
| causing this.  Ideas? Help?

My guess is you are using DHCP and the DHCP server on the network
doesn't tell the clients what nameserver to use.

I'm not using DHCP.  All the address are statically assigned.  I gave it the nameserver address at install when it asked me, and then it's been erasing the /etc/resolv.conf  file ever since.  DHCP *might* have mistakenly been installed by the install system, I haven't verified that yet.  But the start up parameters for eth0 expressly say "static."

BTW, I'm using the latest stable Debian, Woody I think.  I just got it off netinstall a few days ago.

resolv.conf from memory
# Two lines of prefab comments, waring me not hand edit this file, and
# to use resolvconf instead.
nameserver 10.0.0.1

And that's it. Except the last line doesn't appear there when it's broke.