Re: 11g PCI Wireless recommendations

hi ya john

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, John Summerfield wrote:

> >i'm using the Netgear WG311 w/ madwifi drivers
> >and the Linksys WMP54g ( buffalo airstation ) w/ ndiswrapper
> >
> >and am currently trying to get madwifi to support wpa instead of wep
> >
> >other wifi drivers
> >	Linux-Wireless.org/Drivers
> Here's why I asked for so much detail: According to
> http://prism54.org/supported_cards.php,
> "There seems to be a few versions of the WG311 cards. One is reported to
> have the Atheros chipset, the other the TI. "

wg311 uses atheros, and v2 of it uses "I dont know" chipset

i tend NOT to worry about which chipset xxx pci card uses
unless they are specific about it  vs generic markings on the
colorful markings on the box

older wg311 was (supposedly) prism-based, but i found out the ones
i got were madwifi .. oh well

wg311(v1) barely works at 54g speeds, and i doubt any other
"marketing hype" about 54Mbps is even close either
- i download 50-100MB binary kernel files and see how long it takes
	- the old days of 2x faster performance, marketing based hype
	every 3 months probably wont work now since the FCC will want
	supporting documents before they get the "official license" to
	sell the "super fast gizmo what-u-ma-call-it-today" widgets

> It is common for manufacturers to sell revisions of a wireless card
> using different chipsets: Netgear does it, dlink does it (six versions
> of one card according to one retailer), SMC/ACCTON does it.

they all do it.. who ever can sell um 100K or 1M pieces of plastic for
delivery on a particular day si the chipset they use for their next
100K or 1M batch of pci cards

> ndiswrapper isn't a wireless driver, it's a wrapper to allow the use of
> Windows NDIS drivers. I'd use it in the case I have a card I can't user
> otherwise, but I won't  wittingly buy a card that requires it.

that means you'd be eliminating about 90% of all the pci cards that
is on the shelf at the local fries pc store here  and probably same for
compusa stores too

- nope, i never buy anything online ...

c ya
alvin