Re: Problem with CVS and group ownership.

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 12:53, Vincent Hallberg wrote:
> Package: cvs
>
> Version: 1:1.12.9-1
>

> In order to share files between normal users on CVS I’ve added them to
> the ‘src’ group using ‘gpasswd –a someuser src’.  Next I’m using
> Tortoisecvs to login as someuser and upload to the repository I’ve
> created.  It all goes up ok and this has been working without any
> problem for the last 4 days between 5 different users but now all of a
> sudden all ‘commits’ preformed by any user are changing the group
> ownership away from ‘src’ to the user’s group name.  Once that happens
> other users can no longer overwrite or checkout this data.
> (‘someuser’ is of course to be replaced by the login name of a real
> user on the server.)
>

> Obviously I don’t understand a great deal about all the configuration
> options available in CVS but does any body have any idea what might
> have changed or how I can get this back to my original configuration?
>

> I did do an ‘apt-get update’ and ‘upgrade’ over the weekend which
> might have something to do with what’s happened here but I guess a
> good question might be, “How do other people set this sort of system
> up for this kind of use.”?

Maybe the problem is related to the default "umask" for users?

Anyway, I find using CVS via shared files very nasty to maintain.

I recommend you set up a CVS pserver (either as daemon or via inetd),
and force everyone to use the :pserver: protocol to checkin/checkout.
That way, all the files in the CVS repository are then owned by the
"cvs" user, and all file permission problems go away forever.

Regards,

Simon