Re: Jabberd on Woody

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 08:16:42 -0500
"Jacob S." <stormspotter@6texans.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:52:40 -0600
> "Jamin W. Collins" <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 08:47:14PM -0500, Jacob S. wrote:

<snip>
> > > Is the Woody Jabber server recent enough, or are there some
> > > backports I should use?
> >
> > I would say no.  There have been several enhancements to the package
> > since the version in woody.  I'm sure that some would still say that
> > the version in testing and unstable is also not good enough due to
> > some limitations of the implementation.  However, I run 3 different
> > servers using the Debian packages and have very few problems with
> > them.
> >
> > There are not any official backports at this time.  Though I have
> > considered maintaining backports for the server and the transports.
> > I put together a few backports for one of the servers I run.  Let me
> > know if you want them and I'll make them available.
>
> Thanks for the information, Jamin.
>
> I would appreciate it if you could e-mail me the backports or a url
> where I can download them.

After upgrading to the backports from Sarge, I've successfully gotten
jabberd working on my server. For some reason even though Woody's
version would start and appear to be running fine, I could never
authenticate or register a new username. Plus with the version from
Sarge I now have the transports to use aim, yahoo, icq, etc.

I'm not sure what the problem was with the package from Woody and don't
really care now, but I thought I would document it for anyone googling
in the future.

Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #55:
Given enough time and money, eventually Microsoft will re-invent UNIX.