fonts are ugly in some gtk apps

Hi!

I noticed that after an upgrade from woody to sarge, all of the gtk-1
apps turned to very ugly (their fonts). Ie.: xmms, easytag...

I've attached two screenshots, so you can see what I mean.

I tried to recompile xmms, because I'm not using the debian package from
sarge, but that didn't help.
But I'm using the easytag debian package, and easytag is ugly too.

Anyone can tell me, which is the default font that gtk-1 uses for the
gtk apps? I've choosen adobe-helvetica in 'switch', but that is the
ugly font. It is strange, because I'm using that helvetica font in kde
and in gtk-2, and the kde and gtk-2 apps are not ugly. So there is
maybe some failure with gtk-1 font rendering.

Any ideas how to fix the fonts?

Thanks!

Daniel

--