Re: Hard Drive Limitations

Hello

Marco Paganini (<paganini-debian-lists@paganini.net>) wrote:

>> This is almost certainly a kernel problem.  However, it is quite
>> likely that different distros have their kernels configured
>> differently.
>
> I've seen strange problems with big hard drives and 2.4.18.  Actually,
> I lost an entire hard-drive because I partitioned and created the fs
> under knoppix (2.4.22), but was using the system under stable
> (2.4.18). It seems like, somehow, 2.4.18 will not recognize more than
> 137GB (dmesg | grep hd will tell you). In my case, upgrading the
> kernel to (at the time) 2.4.22 resolved the problem nicely.
>
> Again, it may be a configuration issue in the kernel, but I was in a
> hurry and had to take the quickest path to solve the problem.

It is not a configuration problem. Support for LBA48 (which allows more
than 137 GB the way the manufacturers count, 128 GB otherwise) has been
introduced in 2.4.19, and is not available in Woody with the stock
kernel packages. And if you want to boot from such a hard disk, your
BIOS must support LBA48 as well.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270