Re: Creating MP3 for portable players]

* Keith O'Connell (kroc@blueyonder.co.uk)[20040621 11:34]:
> I plan to write a script to take a batch of selected ogg tracks, use sox
> to convert ogg to wav, then pipe that into lame to convert the wav to mp3.
>
> Is this sensible plan or am I making too big a job out of this?

It sounds sensible logistically, as long as you are aware of
the quality degradation you will find in lossy-to-lossy
transcoded audio files.  Realistically, you'll probably find
that they're good enough for portable use (cheap headphones
in noisy environments such as gym treadmill, etc.).  If
quality is a concern, you're better off re-ripping from the
original source (CDs).  There's a script called jack which
makes this process pretty painless (ripping, encoding, CDDB
query, and renaming).  Configure that and it's as easy as
dropping in a CD, "jack; eject", go do something else, and
repeat when you hear the drive tray open.

While we're on the subject of portables, let me plug the
birthday present my wife got for me last month: the Rio
Karma.  It's a 20GB hard drive player and plays ogg vorbis
and flac.  It even comes with a dock with an ethernet jack;
the player runs a little mini-webserver that serves up a
java version of the "rio music manager".  That it's not a
straight usb mass-storage device is a drawback, but ogg and
flac support far outweigh that for me.  I highly recommend
it for anyone seeking a portable music player.  I know
Iriver makes ogg players as well, and I haven't seriously
used one to give it a fair comparison vs the Karma.  The
Karma is great though: good one-handed (either hand)
operation with a jog-dial control, and did I mention it
plays ogg and flac? =p

good times,
Vineet