Re: Creating MP3 for portable players

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:09:09 +0100
Keith O'Connell <kroc@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I have been up and down the listings in Aptitude, and I cannot find out
> how to stay within Debian and (i) rip to mp3, or better still (ii)
> convert ogg to mp3 for the players
>
> Is this a licensing thing?

Yes.  Strictly speaking, mp3 is a patented format.  In order to implement
mp3 encoding, you're supposed to license the patent from the Fraunhofer
Institute.  That keeps Debian away.

> How do list members get files suitable for
> portable players that don't play ogg?

Usually by using one of the mp3 encoding engines for linux available out
there.  Since the people who make them have not licensed the patent,
their work infringes on it; so they're of questionable legality.  That
also keeps Debian away.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)