update-rc.d and package upgrades

I have not found a clean solution to this, so let me pester y'all...

The recommended way to disable a service, or to move its
initialisation priority is update-rc.d. However, when the package is
upgraded, it is likely that the choice I made for update-rc.d will
be overwritten. Since update-rc.d does not have a similar backend
like the alternatives system, there is little one can do.

So what's the recommended way of disabling services?

  a policy for invoke-rc.d?
  or `exit 0` at the top of the init script? (ugh!)

Thanks for your comments.

`. `'`