software suspend on 2.6.5-1-686-smp

Can someone help me how to get software suspend working on debian unstable machine? In particular I would like to try the hibernating feature. I am using default kernel-image and the /boot/config-2.6.5-1-686-smp has the following lines

#
# Power management options (ACPI, APM)
#
CONFIG_PM=y
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=m

Now my question is what lines should I add to /etc/modules inorder to load this module? I tried running modconf, but could not find an entry relating swsusp. I was able to get acpi up and running though.

thanks for your help
raju