Re: Another "testing" vs "unstable" question

Michael Satterwhite <michael@weblore.com> wrote:
> A few weeks ago (I don't know about now), the KDE distribution in
unstable
> simply would not run ...

I was effected by this as well, yet not effected at all. This is where
doing things by hand comes in very handy.

When I ran dselect, it reported a huge number of KDE packages which
were effected by broken dependency. At that point, I ctrl-C out of
dselect, which leaves my system just as it was before. I checked the
bug tracking and user mailing lists, noticed other people having the
same problem, and relaxed. It wasn't an isolated problem.

Every couple of days I would run dselect, update the list of packages,
and if the same dependency problem happened I would simply break out
and try later. One day, someone reported that the problem had been
corrected, and sure enough dselect did not give me the list of
dependency problems.

The only people who's systems were twisted by this error were ones who
do updates automatically. Automatic can work on Stable, where bug
fixes are the rule. I would no more run automatic updates on Unstable
or Testing than I would set the cruise control and go to sleep in my
car at 75mph on a twisty road.

> How does one recover from something like this short of doing a
reload?

That shouldn't be a question by someone running Unstable. Unstable is
exactly that, and should be considered to be an interactive learning
experience.

One of the reasons that I like dselect, other than that's what I used
first, is it is a command line application. No matter how crippled
the system gets, if it will boot it will run dselect.

Curt-
--
September 11th, 2001
planning advocates in American history