ftp server being slow

Hello all

I'm having performance issues with ftp servers on my LAN. I installed
vsftp and the performace was really bad, 5kb/s or so. It was taking
about 20 mins to move a 5Mb file!

I looked at the config file and googled but couldn't find any solutions,
eventually I gave up. Now I have installed proftp thinking it would
remove these performace issues, but it hasn't. It's still running at
5(ish)Kb/s.

The server is on Sarge running with a 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel, the client is
a Win2k machine running filezilla. The two machines work well and fast
otherwise. Ping times are about 0.4 ms between the two.

As the performace is affceting both vsftp and proftp I done think it's a
server issue. I really don't know what I should do now. Please could
some one point me in the right direction.

Kind Regards
James

PS
What are the differences between vsftp & proftp? Which one is better?

--
James Hosken
james@jamesho.co.uk