Re: Xserver didn't start

Kent West wrote:

markspace wrote:

Hi all, I have a new debian install on a machine with a Geforce 2 video card. After the install was complete, the Xserver refused to start, so I have no gui. I'm not sure where to start debugging this.

Look at the messages displayed on console.
Look in the log file (/var/log/XFree86.0.log).
Run startx manually, and pipe the error output to a file, and then look at the file ("startx 2 > startx.errorlog", "less startx.errorlog").

The log file I think is most useful. It looks like it's looking for a PCI device with a 1:0:0 signature. (I remember now being asked this question during installation. Who the heck knows what the PCI signatures are of their cards? What was the install module write thinking asking people this?)

I need to switch this to an AGP port, not PCI. So far web searches haven't been very productive (lots of hits for Debian+agp+xfree86, none relavent). Anyone got a pointer?

(II) LoadModule: "nv"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nv_drv.o
(II) Module nv: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
   compiled for 4.3.0.1, module version = 1.0.1
   Module class: XFree86 Video Driver
   ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.6
(II) LoadModule: "mouse"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/mouse_drv.o
(II) Module mouse: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
   compiled for 4.3.0.1, module version = 1.0.0
   Module class: XFree86 XInput Driver
   ABI class: XFree86 XInput driver, version 0.4
(II) NV: driver for NVIDIA chipsets: RIVA 128, RIVA TNT, RIVA TNT2, Vanta,
 <<SNIPPED LOTS>>
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(WW) NV: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:0) found
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found