Re: Most Polite Apps for Window Managers?

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 10:20:27AM +0000, Ed Sutherland wrote:
> I'm considering moving from one of the giant desktop environments
> (Gnome) to a svelter window manager (blackbox or windowmaker.) I
> understand some apps require only the gnome or kde toolkits, while
> others require the whole kit-and-kaboodle to operate. I'm wondering if
> these app categories can politely run in a window manager (that is,
> using just the gnome toolkit.)
>
> E-mail (Thunderbird)
> Web (Firefox)
> Office (OpenOffice)
> Contacts (Rubrica)

Firefox and Openoffice work fine.

If you apt-get kcontrol and apt-get gnome-control-center, you will have
"just enough" KDE and Gnome to run apps -- just make sure aptitude
doesn't bring in the display managers, session managers, and window
managers.  Then you'll need to run gnome-settings-daemon and kdeinit in
your startup so that settings are loaded.