Re: Enabling telnet access

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 08:46:41 +0200, Paal Marker wrote
> debian 3.0r2  kernel 2.2.20
> I have got some workstations inside a network, and I will need
> telnet access to them.
>
> I have installed telnetd, and it is running.
>
> When telneting the box I get into the login, asked for username.
> When entering a valid username I get this message: "System bootup in
> progress -please wait"
>
> And then login incorrect.
>
> If I try a in.telnetd restart I get the message: "telnetd:
> getpeername: socket operation on non-socket. "
>
> Can anyone tell me what needs to be configured?

You may want to try re-installing telnetd on your system.
I also remembering seeing a similar message like that when
trying to login into the terminal when I had a custom runlevel
with most daemons turned off. Perhaps check to see that all your
daemons are running properly.

And as others have mentioned prior, ssh is better.
Sounds like you'll use it instead.

Cheers,