Re: 802.11g Wireless NIC for Desktop

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:46:09PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:

| On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Doug MacFarlane wrote:
|
| > I'm converting to 802.11g at my new place.  What NIC do you recommend for
| > my Debian Unstable (sid) desktop?  I'm looking for something that I can
| > install, and load the drivers via modconf and be done . . . .
|
| i want $100B tooo and not have to pay taxes either
|
| ez answer ... get a cisco 350 or something .. since it's supported
| by the kernel  or prism2 based cards

The prism2 chips only do B, not G.  If you use a 2.6 kernel then you
need to compile the driver yourself using one of the latest
pre-release versions.  I'll let you know how it works after mine
arrives sometime next week.

The PrismGT chips appear to be well-supported and the driver
('prism54') is included in the 2.6.6 kernel.  However, don't get a
PrismGT -USB- adapter yet -- that code isn't anywhere close to being
finished.  (I bought a Linksys WUSB54G and discovered after-the-fact
that the usb driver has no hope of working at this time, despite the
chart on prism54.org reporting 89 or so successes with that adapter)

Don't get anything with a Broadcom chip -- they haven't released any
specs or drivers.

The linux-wlan.org site has some good information (namely
http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz).

HTH,
-D

--
If you want to know what God thinks about money,
just look at the people He gives it to.