Re: debian running kiosk-mode problems

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:42:36 +0200, Paal Marker <paal@barum.folkebibl.no> wrote:

> debian 3.0r2
> kernel 2.2.20

<snipped with a comment or two inline

> The problem is that X starts, but will not display galeon.
>
> Shortly told the system is put up like this:
> added user kiosk,  system configuration by /etc/inittab,
> /home/kiosk/kiosk.sh    /home/kiosk/kiosk-session
> /home/kiosk/.xsession  and in additional I have tried to solve the
> problem by adding /home/kiosk/.xserverrc for being sure that the correct
> X server is used.
>
> /etc/inittab provides automatically logging by the line
> "k:4:respawn:/home/kiosk/kiosk.sh"
> /home/kiosk.sh   calling  "exec xinit /home/kiosk/kiosk-session --$xargs
>  >/tmp/.xsession-errors2>&1"
> /home/kiosk/kiosk-session  making no prompt for password:  "exec su -
> --command /home/kiosk/.xsession   kiosk"

I'm no expert, but the first thing I notice here is that X is launched
by init, so has root's permissions.  If you un-comment the xsetbg
line, does that work?  I'm curious if 'kiosk' can use root's X
display.

You might like to check out "rungetty" .. I used to use alogin for
this task, and rungetty seems very similar.  You add it to inittab as
a getty, but specify what process it's to launch, and more importantly
(in this case), which user/group to launch them as.  That'd side-step
any permissions problem (and I feel more comfortable with X running as
a user)

> I paste in the file /home/kiosk/.xsession, as I am very unsure if this
> one is corrrect
> /home/kiosk/.xsession:
>  "#!/bin/sh
> # This is the $HOME/.xsession file for the kiosk "kiosk" user.
>
> # put up our "loading, please wait" background image
> #/usr/bin/X11/xsetbg /home/kiosk/wallpaper.gif
>
> # turn off caps-lock, and make sure both BS and DEL exist (dunno why this
> # seems not to be the default...)
> #
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xmodmap -e 'clear Lock' \
>  #       -e 'keycode 0x42 = Control_L' \
>  #       -e 'add Control  = Control_L' \
>  #       -e 'keycode 0x16 = BackSpace' \
>  #       -e 'keycode 0x6B = Delete'
>
> export PATH=$PATH:/bin:/usr/bin
> #xscreensaver -no-splash&
> while true ; do
>   /usr/bin/galeon -df
>  #  /usr/bin/mozilla
> done
>
> # this should never be reached

Curiously -d has no effect on my machine, and -df doesn't do -f's
effect .. altho it still opens in a window, so I doubt this is your
problem

> Now, what happens is that I get grey screen with the mouse-pointer
> active,  but no galeon displayed.
> If I log on remote by ssh  and run top, I can see that /usr/bin/galeon
> is active and running.
> <snip>
>
> If I start as linux single from Lilo for override /etc/inittab settings
> and login as common user, and type "xinit /usr/bin/galeon, it starts
> perfect.
> The system I have used here worked very well in redhat, and I am a
> little stuck here now why it is not working in debian.

note that in this method, xinit is launched by the user, not by root,
so it's not recreating inittab's method

> Anyone that is X Xperts, I will be very thankful for advice

That's not me sorry :o)  I just thought I'd add a few musings until
someone more clueful replies

Shaun