Re: Login Shell/Profile: Stop the Madness

On Thursday, June 17, 2004, at 01:14 AM, Michael B Allen wrote:

So all we have to do is detect when a user is logging in and exec their
default shell with the login option. Debian does that when you ssh in
or login on the console but not when you login with X.

Say WHAT!

I didn't catch it before, but isn't this a violation of abstraction?

The mechanism used for collecting credentials should have absolutely no effect on the login environment. It shouldn't matter whether you login via the console, xdm, gdm, swipe a ID card, touch a fingerprint reader, or wave a magic wand.

A user, if s/he desires, should be able to login via xdm and be presented with a console.