Re: programming editor

On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 11:18, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Anders Karlsson wrote:
> > For vim, you can always install Gvim to give you more of a GUI version.
>
>     Or kvim for KDE...  Or even vim-part so that it can be embedded in KDE
> apps that support the editor part.  :D
>
> > Best editor I have ever used though was CygnusED on the Amiga. 65kB in size
> > and everything you'd expect an editor to do and then some (still have not
> > found an editor that will do a rectangular area cut/paste in the middle of
> > a text). Second to that is FrexxEd (Amiga, OS/2) that had a very nifty
> > virtual disk you could drag/drop files in/out of that opened/saved files
> > in the editor itself. But I digress...
>
>     You mean like vim?
>
> Do this:
> 5i12345<ret><esc>4kl<CNTL-V>2j2lxp
>
>     Or, long form.  5 rows of "12345", go to 2nd row on the 2, hit CNTL-V,
> down 2, over 2.  You'll now mark the middle block of 9 digits.  x deletes it,
> p pastes it back in after the 5 so now the middle 3 rows read "15234".

Ahh vim :-)

The jedit editor does rectangular cut&paste. It is in fact an
*extremely* good general-purpose text editor. And has the "filesystem
pane" you were looking for, among many other "plugins". Because it's a
java app, though, I suspect it takes at least as much memory as Kate.
And it has the clunky swing look-and-feel (though with java1.5 coming
out, I hope the gnome l&f for swing has been much improved).

It's also nearly as configurable as emacs; almost every part of jedit
can be accessed via BeanShell (a java scripting language).

There is a debian source for jedit, or you can download & run the gui
installer. See www.jedit.org for more info.

Regards,

Simon