Re: System problem..

Ishwar Rattan wrote:

I was running Debian/testing (/dev/hda5) and Mandrake-10.0(/dev/hda6).
The booting was achieved with lilo for Debian on MBR (/dev/hda)
and lilo for Mandrake on it's partition (/dev/hda6) which was chained
using Debina lilo entry
other=/dev/hda6
    labe="Mandrake"

I have disk partition corruption and can't boot Debian. I do have
Knoppix-3.4 CD. Can any one point out how to put bootloader back into
into MBR either using info from /dev/hda5 or /dev/hda6??
Try booting off the Knoppix CD, and at the boot: prompt, enter something like:
knoppix root=/dev/hda5 single

If this works, it'll use the kernel off the Knoppix CD but it'll use the rest of the system from the root partition of your Debian setup, and boot into single-user mode. At that point you should be able to re-rerun lilo and be done.

If that doesn't work, boot into Knoppix normally, and then mount your /dev/hda5 partition somewhere (mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/hd/hda5) and then chroot into that partition (chroot /mnt/hd/hda5), then rerun lilo. Exit the chroot'd session, and shutdown Knoppix and reboot normally.

No guarantees, but these are the two steps I'd try.

--
Kent