Re: Login Shell/Profile: Stop the Madness

Hi,

On 17.06.2004 15:40, Freivald, Joseph A, GVSOL wrote:
Ok, so I'm pretty new to Debian, and I have never created a .deb package
(except for the kernel using the kernel tools), but isn't this the kind
of thing that could be put into a package so that people who want it
could install it?  I mean, if I'm reading this thread right, that if the
correct solution is to alter a few scripts and put some other scripts
into the default-user directory so that when new users are created they
get those files, that should be trivial to put in a .deb, no?

I agree. Why not offer a sim ple package which installs a short script in /etc/Xsession.d which does the job of sourcing the login-shell-files.

I myself use gnome and solved the problem in a very similar way:

/etc/X11/Xsession.d > cat 98login-shell-settings
# Debian specific environment settings
source /etc/environment
# Global settings just like for login shells
source /etc/profile

This does the job quite well. And people who dont want a login-shell when starting X simply dont install the script.

In my oppinion this should comfort both sides.

	Christian
--
To reply to this posting directly use the following address and
remove the 'NO-SPAM' part: Riedel.Christian.NO-SPAM@gmx.net