Re: FDDI vs Fast Switched Ethernet

An advanatge of FDDI over FastEthernet is that you can have a
significantly larger MTU.  This may or may not be a good thing
depending on your traffic patterns and networking applications.  There
may be a slight speed benefit to FDDI in a "quite heavy streaming
large (>4gb) ISO's" application where you would benefit from the
lesser overhead in bigger packets.

Ethernet caps at 1500, I ferget what FDDI is but I think it's closer to 4k.

If you're in a mixed media environment, you may have to lower the MTU
on your FDDI gear anyways to 1500 negating any possible benefit there
anyways.

There's a few things I'd suggest you figure out first...
Wether you are using single attach or dual attach adapters.
Wether you're setting your network up in a Ring or Star/Tree topology.

(You say you're going to lay fiber and call that "FDDI". FDDI is a
networking protocol (ie PPP, Token Ring, ATM, Ethernet) not a physical
cabling spec/designation like cat5.  So, while I don't want to sound
rude... I hope you know what equiptment you actually have :P  I mean,
is there a chance you just have a bunch of terminated fiber and atm or
gigabit ethernet cards? :)    )

FWIW, I havent worked with FDDI stuff in 5-7 years... so I could be
entirely wrong.

-Daved