Re: OpenSSH_3.8p1 (from Debian Installer) and Secure CRT

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Michael Bellears wrote:

> I have just tested the debian installer (Excellent work by the way
> guys!), and have found that Secure CRT(4.1.6 (build 251) and earlier
> tested) cannot login to the box via ssh.(Only allowing SSH2)
>
> The failure reason is: "Unable to authenticate using any of the
> configured authentication methods" - I only see an access attempt in the
> servers auth logs, but nothing else.

This happened to me too, on various Debian sarge/sid machines.

A solution of sorts was to remove ssh and install an older version (I
ftp'd 3.6-something and installed that with dpkg -i). During a later
apt-get I ended up reinstalling the current version again, and this time I
found I *could* connect with SecureCRT. I'm not sure why, I never looked
at what changed between those ssh package versions. You might want to take
a look at it.

I ended up switching to PuTTY anyway, and haven't missed CRT.