Re: Login Shell/Profile: Stop the Madness

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 09:35, Michael B Allen wrote:
> After much consternation I feel the need to vent about shell environment
> initialization. With the default Debian installation, /etc/profile and
> ~/.bash_profile are not sourced in the X windows environment.

I have been through the whole process a few times, re-learning each
time, every two or so years when it is necessary.

Try also attempting to have consistency across logins between Debian
and cygwin sessions (not any more, but it used to be my mainstay - ie
both environments, and I wanted basically the same setup in both).

I agree that pretty much the only way to figure it out is much man
page reading combined with experimentation.

If there really is A Better Way (TM), there must be millions happy
to find out.

:/
zen