Re: ftp.uk.debian.org not allowing connections?

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 09:23, chris-usenet@roaima.co.uk wrote:
> Lee Braiden <jel@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > I've no idea what the cause is, but it seems to flake out regularly... I'm
> > using mirror.ac.uk now.
>
> You do know that mirror.ac.uk is likely to be disappearing, to be replaced
> by a completely different system...?
>
> See http://www.mirror.ac.uk/help/funding_announcement.html for details.

This is a great shame. mirror.ac.uk has been a great service to academic
and non-academic users.
I suspect this is to do with the restructuring of JANET. Last year
charging to institutions changed to all traffic entering and leaving
instead of transatlantic traffic. mirror.ac.uk was always recommended as
it was free then, but now, it makes no difference to academic
institutions in the UK so the powers that be see no need for the
service.

I hope a replacement service emerges, the UK will be short of a
fantastic resource otherwise.

Tristan