Re: OT? kernel configuration guessing

Incoming from Joris Huizer:

> I find myself often just reusing my configuration endlessly, which is
> probably not the smarted configuration anymore;
> In the transition from 2.4.x to 2.6 some configurations went away but
> still.. is there a some kind of script or something to make the kernel
> "guess" the minimal & best kernel configuration for the running machine?

Can't you just "make oldconfig" then "make menuconfig" over top of it?
You'd have the old stuff, and could then toggle in new stuff (not to
mention, resurrect stuff that changed or moved).

> hear what's available for this, andwhat could be learned from tools to
> discover hardware details :-)

You know all that stuff that scrolls up off the screen at boot time?
I suppose you could try to clip that out of the kernel and wrap it
somehow, but it's probably simpler to just build a kernel and try to
boot it.

- -