Keyboard map probs

Hello all,

Did an "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" and my keyboard settings has been reverted to the US map (again!) and while I can use "loadkeys uk" and "setxkbmap gb" to get the UK keyboard back on X and console - but I can't remember how to make the changes permament? Rebooting reverts the keyboard back to the US layout. And no, I don't want to create a new script to run loadkeys and setxkbmap each time I boot up - I mean, every time I booted up, it always loaded the UK keyboard automatically without any scripts, and now it loads the US keyboard.

The XF86Config file does contain enteries for the UK keyboard yet I need to run setxkbmap to change it to the UK keyboard?

Continuing on the same vein, I seem to find that nearly each time I use "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" it generally breaks little things each time, such as the XFConfig file, or keyboard settings, or backgrounds - for example, at the same time as my keyboard map got reverted back to US, debian.jpg got changed to Debian.jpg which windowmaker and KDM didn't like it and so I had to find the new filename, and update the config file for both. Why does small things break when I do an "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade"?

Thanks very much for your help in advance ;)

Cheers - Piers