Soundproblems: Only right channel (unstable / 2.6.6 / terratec xfire 1024 (cs46xx))

Hey all,

I recently installed a fresh debian on my box (I need not really mention how happy I am with everything so far - that would only seem like flattery to get more willing helpers - so instead I will mention this fact and hope to get more willing helpers through my great insight into internet communication :P). I used to run SuSE 7.2 before, with an Alsa of version 0.5 something. Lots of things did not work there, but normal playback of PCM worked fine. Now the situation is reversed: Lots of things work very well with Alsa 1.0.4 (I believe it's 1.0.4 - that's what alsamixer says - any way I can use apt-cache to find out which version of alsa I have installed?), but there is a problem with normal sound playback (read wav, mp3, ogg, whathaveyou): For some strange reason, only the right channel plays. Right before I installed this fresh debian I was using Win XP, and I remember very well that this problem did not exist. It did not exist in my SuSE either. It's been like this for weeks now, I frequently change between speakers and headphones, so I'm rather sure it's nothing to do with either speakers or connector on the soundcard.

I am using debian unstable, kernel 2.6.6, alsa 1.0.4 (presumably), my card is a Terratex XFire 1024 which runs the cs46xx chip (I remember this information to be correct back from my alsa setup in SuSE). If there's any other information about my system that'd be relevant, any conf files or anything, ask away.

Thank you for your attention already,

Daniel Klein