Re: Better file manager

jack kinnon wrote:

Hi folks,
Is the file manager offered by KDE the best available for Debian GNU/Linux? As I mentioned before, it takes a long time to load up.

That depends entirely on personal preference, and what you're using it for.

And are you saying that Konqueror takes a long time to load up, or KDE takes a long time? If the latter, perhaps you're not asking about "the file manager" but rather the windowing environment? If that's the case, then lots of window managers are smaller/faster/lighter than KDE. If you're really asking about Konqueror, I would be surprised that it's taking a very long time to start up, as most of Konqueror loads in the background as part of KDE's loading process.

You might be interested in mc, gmc, xnc, xfm, xfe, xffm4, etc etc etc (see "apt-cache search file | grep manager" for more possibilities). Take your pick and give it a spin.

--
Kent