Re: i810 watchdog troubles (solved, but...)

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 03:53, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > > i8xx TCO timer: initialized (0x1060). heartbeat=30 sec (nowayout=0)
> >
> > nowayout=0 means it should shutdown the watchdog on close.  You have
> > a kernel bug.  Someone else reported the same problem here.  You're the
> > third one, I think.

The kernel doc (watchdog/watchdog-api.txt) says:

Some other drivers will not disable the watchdog, unless a specific
magic character 'V' has been sent /dev/watchdog just before closing
the file.  If the userspace daemon closes the file without sending
this special character, the driver will assume that the daemon (and
userspace in general) died, and will stop pinging the watchdog without
disabling it first.  This will then cause a reboot.

At first I suspected that someone forgot to send the "magic character"
before closing, but if that was the case, I should have found the
"Unexpected close, not stopping watchdog!" message in dmesg.

I'm not into kernel debugging, so I don't really know how to trace the
watchdog module calls or /dev/watchdog opening and closing.

> Hmm... make that *most probably* you have a kernel bug.  Install lsof, run
> it with the system in the unstable condition, and make sure NOTHING is
> holding /dev/watchdog open...

I already did. lsof /dev/watchdog yielded nothing. I think I'm going to
file a bug.

cheers,
Hendrik