Re: MicroWhat Winwhat???

John L Fjellstad wrote:

Cecil <xeys_00@yahoo.com> writes:

I just gotta say that debian is giving me all the functionality I had in windows. Slack didn't. Redhat didn't. Gentoo was just a pain to get installed.

I love my Debian, but I really don't see how Debian has some Windows
functionality that Slack or RedHat wouldn't have.  mp3, kmail, gaim,
browsers, if I can get it to run on Debian, I can get it to run on Slack
or RedHat or any other linux distribution.

I'm new to the list: be gentle.  Heh.

If there's a distinct functional benefit of Debian over other distributions, I think it would be the fact that Debian is, simply put, a straightforward Linux distribution with excellent native package management.  It doesn't play silly buggers with distro-specific applications and runs zero risk of "vendor lock" because of that straightforward nature.  If anything, you're more likely to be able to replicate a Windows "feel" to a Linux installation's functionality by choosing a more proprietary distribution that is designed to pretend to be Windows for the faint-of-CLI (such as Linspire or Xandros).

--
must be at least this geekish to ride