Re: Save to Live CD

On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 02:18:16PM -0500, Ian Melnick wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'd like to use a "live" cd and be able to save my stuff to it without
> requiring a separate medium. What I'd like to happen is partition a
> cd-rw so that the first part is from the iso that I'd download from
> somewhere, and the second part would be a writable filesystem (udf?)
> that I'd be able to mount as /home.
>
> First of all, given the speed that these things write/read at, is this
> idea realistic/possible?
>
> Second, if it is, how would I go about doing it?

Well, if you're going to like the speed, I don't know. However, Morphix
(www.morphix.org) is a very nice modular knoppix-based livecd distro,
and there are guides for just the thing you want. The CD-Persistant
mini-module lets you save your home directory and/or your configs to the
same LiveCD you're using by creating another session on the CD, so it
even works for CD-R. The only catch seems to be that you can do this
only once per boot. So, after you have written your files, complete a
reboot. The guide is here:

http://www.morphix.org/modules/sections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=5

or see http://www.morphix.org -> Recipes & Howtos

Good luck with it!

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!