Re: how to upgrade a debian system not connected to network

But if for whatever reason it must remain unconnected, then you'll want to get the .deb packages downloaded on PC-A for transfer to PC-B.

apt-get has a -d option:
apt-get -d install [package] which downloads a .deb to /var/cache/apt/archives/[package][version].deb

So to upgrade everything on PC-B:
1. Get a list of packages (to upgrade) on B, to A.

How to get the list of packages to be upgraded on B. Can
/var/lib/apt/lists/* of PC-B be of any help?

2. apt-get clean on A to clear current package cache.
3. Feed the list into "apt-get -d install [...]".
4. Burn .deb packages from apt cache onto CDs.
5. Don't forget the repository list files.
Any help on this wil be appriciated.

At that point I'll leave it. Really at 4 there you should figure out how to create an apt repository cdrom (similar to the Debian installation CDs). But I've never done that.

JSS