Re: hardware change

Alex Lorca wrote:
hi all

i'm going to change some hardware in my computer (motherboard and video
card)... do i need to reinstall the whole system?? in this case how can
i save my configuration???

i need to install the same system in other computer too, how can i
"copy" the same configuration of mine to this computer??

i read in the reference how to save the package list but wath about the
files i had modified in /etc ???

thanks

You shouldn't need to re-install. I changed motherboard/video card[Athlon-thunderbird->Athlon-XP, NVIDIA->NVIDIA] on my computer and it booted up fine without having to do anything else. If you are making a more drastic change[Athlon<->Intel], I think all you have to worry about is the kernel[just install a kernel appropriate for the new setup prior to switch, or install a generic kernel]. Nothing userland should be affected except for optimized stuff[pretty much nothing in the archive is optimized[all I can think of is mplayer which isn't really in the archive], so only self-compiled stuff do you need to watch out for].