Re: how to upgrade a debian system not connected to network

J.S.Sahambi wrote:
I have a two debian/unstable systems (let us name them PC-A and PC-B). Both have got different packages installed. PC-A is connected to internet with 2 MBps link and so there is no problem in upgrading it regularly.

PC-B is not connected to internet. So I whenever I need to upgrade the system I download the 5 CD's of sid form ftp://ftp.fsn.hu/pub/CDROM-Images/debian-unofficial/sid/ ,
burn then in RW-CDs and then upgrade the system.

I want to know is there any method by which I can download the packages requiring upgrade for the PC-B in PC-A (remember PC-A and PC-B have different list of installed packages!)?

If I can do that, I can copy the .deb files to /var/cache/apt/archives of PC-B via a portable usb-dsik and execute apt-get upgrade.

Any help will be appriciated.
Thanks
JSS

Others may give a better answer. One easy way that comes to my mind is internet sharing. For example, you can buy a router and connet PC-A & PC-B to the router. The router connects to the outside world through the 2mbps link. The LAN enables to share the files between the computers very easy.

Other method to share the internet is to set up one of the machines as a gateway and connect the other machine to the gateway.

For more details see http://www.aboutdebian.com/network.htm
I found it very useful and is one of my alltime favorites.

hth
raju

--
Home page: http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/index.html