Re: local/controllable causes of packet loss?

I'll hit three replies for the price of one here to save clogging the list
with all my individual short comments.

> I had a problem like this some time ago, turned out to be a defective
> network card on the computer. Can you try with a different one?

That one I can scratch off for sure.  I have two NICs in the box, and have
tried with both.  It matters not.

>One thing to check is the strength of the signal at your end
>point. The cable may be at fault, some crack somewhere. Who

It's not the signal.  I've *had* signal problems, and I know what they look
like.  The modem craps out and goes into blinkie blinkie mode for a long time
trying to make the best of a bad situation.  That isn't what's happening.
Green lights all the way, which is why the provider is utterly convinced this
is a user problem.

>Ask your neighbor if he's willing to trade cable modems for a few days. See
>if your situation improves and his worsens. If so, you have a flaky modem.

A pity that he's not.  :(  It was a good thought though.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/