Re: local/controllable causes of packet loss?

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 11:45:30PM -0400, Silvan wrote:
> I'm having annoying problems with my cable internet.  At least once a day,
> sometimes several times, I'll try to do something, and whatever I'm doing
> either times out or goes like molasses.  When things get boggy, my standard
> diagnostic is to ping google.
>

> It's really getting annoying.  As far as the cable company is concerned, if I
> have four green lights, then what I have is a software problem.  They don't
> support Linux in any way, shape or form, of course, so it's impossible for me
> to prove to them that I *don't* have a software problem.

One thing to check is the strength of the signal at your end
point. The cable may be at fault, some crack somewhere. Who
knows. Once I had the same problem (road runner, central florida),
they came, changed the cable, and all got fixed. But then I could show
that the tv screen was a little snowy too.