Re: System Reinstall Setup

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 01:38:49PM -0400, Adam Aube wrote:
> David wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to set up a backup system using CD's.
>
> > The idea was to, in the event of a total drive loss, to boot up a
> > Knoppix CD, manually fdisk ( or whatever), the partitions, and untar the
> > respective partitions back onto the HD.
>
> > However, even before I got the CD's constructed, it occurred to me that
> > Knoppix has the CD mounted, and I have only one CD.
>
> > So I'm wondering what would be the best method?
>
> bootcd and System Imager have both been recommended on this list, and are
> available from your local Debian mirror.

Yes.  That makes sense.  I'd seen several threads regarding backups, but
seem to have missed everything in this line.

> Given your needs (single personal system), bootcd might be the best choice -
> System Imager seems to be designed more for large-scale imaging operations.

True.  It seems that I don't need anything all that elaborate.  There's
also amanda and a couple others, but from what I've been able to gather,
they are perhaps overkill for a simple single-user system.

Thanks for the pointer.  I'll follow that lead.