alsaconf fails to detect sound/wrong driver module?

I am trying to get alsa working under kernel 2.6.6
with the integrated sound from my motherboard (an AC97
chip).  I'm not sure which driver module I should use
(I have tried the intel 8x10, the VIA 826c868 and the
generic modules) and so far alsaconf returns an unable
to detect PnP or PCI sound card error (and asks me to
probe for legacy ISA devices).
I think I just need to find the right alsa driver.  In
previous versions of the kernel, there was a driver
labeled AC97, which worked perfectly.  Does anyone
know if another module replaced that one, or what
module should be used with kernel 2.6.6?

Thanks,
Daniel Asarnow

=====
BoxBattle.com - Semper Absurda