Help ipchains and Firestarter

Thanks to those that answered my earlier questions about firewalls with 2.6
kernel and Sarge!

I am now running Firestarter.  However, when I try to use "Save" following
the Wizard, or after manually trying to open a port, I get the message "No
chain/target/match by that name".  I assume something is missing from some
ipchains or iptables or inetd.conf file, but as a relative newbie, I find
those things fairly intimidating!  Any suggestions where to start?
Thanks!  - John