Re: Cannot re-config xfree86

jack kinnon wrote:

Hi folks,

I am able to run my desired settings by manually
editing the XF86Config-4 file, selecting i810
controller, color depth of 24.

The quality of the display has improved appreciably.
I am selecting some warnings, error and information fr
the log. Attaching the whole file would be wasting
bandwidth.

(WW) I810(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum
(II) I810(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
(WW) System lacks support for changing MTRRs

(EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such
device)
(WW) I810(0): /dev/agpgart is either not available, or
no memory is available
for allocation.  Using pre-allocated memory only.

(II) I810(0): Not using built-in mode "1920x1440"
(width too large for virtual size)
(II) I810(0): Not using built-in mode "1600x1200"
(width too large for virtual size)
(II) I810(0): Not using built-in mode "1280x1024"
(width too large for virtual size)
(II) I810(0): Not using built-in mode "1024x768"
(width too large for virtual size)
(II) I810(0): 2564 kBytes additional video memory is
required to
	enable tiling mode for DRI.
(II) I810(0): 4 kBytes additional video memory is
required to enable DRI.
(II) I810(0): Disabling DRI.
(--) I810(0): Virtual size is 800x600 (pitch 800
(**) I810(0): *Built-in mode "800x600"
(**) I810(0): *Built-in mode "640x480"

1. How serious should the error and the warning be
taken? Things are working OK.

2. Fr the (II), does it mean I cannot select a res of
1024x768 or higher? What about the DRI being disabled.
What purpose does DRI serve?

Hello Jack,
Here's a link I've found useful in the past for discovering the meanings of computer terminologies.
You might find it useful.

http://whatis.techtarget.com/wsearchResults/1,290214,sid9,00.html?query=DRI

Again, I don't know enough to help, but it looks as though you have an incorrect setting in your BIOS, as there seems to be a reference to a graphics slot, which doesn't apply as you have 'onboard' graphics. Another possible point is that you may have not got sufficient RAM in your system.
Most slot cards carry their own memory capability.
Your graphics factor might need to use conventional RAM, and it's a possibility that you may have to install another module. I would say, looking at the context, that DRI is possibly something like Display Resolution Index, but I stress that this is a wild guess, and you're better off not committing yourself on anything I say in regard to this.

I would say that the improvement you see lies in 24Bit quality finally being accepted (if the difference is in colour, that will be it), but it doesn't look as though your other settings have taken, and you might need to do some back tracking/rechecking. Perhaps an onsite email to Intel support, asking for what might be required as far as RAM provisions go for their graphics. Even if they say none, that is one factor out of the equation. If it does, you'll know how much, and the rest you may well find in the BIOS settings section of your motherboard manual.
Regards,

David.