cant ssh in from outside world

i recently just ran into this problem when i moved my mail server from
cable to dsl, (comcast to bellsouth).  i didnt change any of the settings,
that i know of.  i can ftp, send/receive mail, but i cant ssh in. its very
frustrating because that is how i fix anything thats gone wrong, check log
files etc.  is there some reason why i cant ssh from the outsite net?
does anyone else use bellsouth.net fast access and have this problem? is
there a work around?  what can i look for in my config to see if i am set
up still for remote connects aka from the internet?  i can ssh from a
local machine fine. it lets me in no problem, but i get a:

ssh: connect to address 68.214.***.blah port 22: Connection refused

when i try it from an outside computer.  no firewall is active, should be
totally open, its the DMZ on the router as well, and just in case that
didnt open it up enough i added a rule in the port forwarding to allow ssh
port 21 to that specific local ip.
any ideas?

nick

--