Re: alsa not working

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:51:13 +0200
John van Spaandonk <j.spaandonk@chello.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I searched linuxquestions.org and the last year of this list but
> could not find anything relevant.
>
> Problem:
> alsa sound not working.
> alsaconf is not working either. It says no pci cards found, and
> scanning for legacy ISA cards is not useful, I don't have those.
> So automatic configuration does not work.
>
> Symptoms:
> alsamixer says:
> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
> directory
>
> Additional info:
> /dev/dsp points to /dev/sound/dsp (which seems to be ok)
> I am a member of groups cdrom, audio and video
> See attached the output of lspci, lsmod
> and my /etc/modules and /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
>
> My hardware:
> Asus p4p800 deluxe
> Soundblaster live!
>
> The funny thing is that I can hear sounds just fine by playing a flash
> animation with sound, eg the casini one found on
> http://www.nasa.gov/home/
>
> So the hardware works.
>
> However I cannot get arts to work.
> Also xmms does not work using the alsa output driver
>
> I guess I am still missing some alsa-specific configuration stuff.
>
> Thanks for any ideas,

Your problem is that you are loading OSS modules.  The ALSA modules
can't load if the OSS modules are installed.  First, remove the OSS
modules from your /etc/modules file, so they'll stop being loaded
automatically during boot.  Then, check to see if you have either
discover or hotplug installed.  During boot, their scripts run before
the ALSA script does, and they'll try to install OSS modules.  If
you have either or both of them installed, make sure that the OSS
modules are blacklisted in their respective configuration files.
The ALSA modules will load appropriately.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)